You Might Have a Stupid Doctor Revisited…
Let me be clear: I am not saying this to be mean spirited. There are a lot of great, well- meaning, very capable doctors out there. In fact most doctors are very caring, thoughtful and want to give you their best service. However, when it comes to treating fibromyalgia most doctors simply don’t get it or you.
This blog is a tongue in check spoof at those doctors who don’t understand you or fibromyalgia and worse try to make you think it is all in “your head.” Please don’t send me hate mail if you in fact do have a caring competent doctor. This is for those who don’t.
We have all seen them. You’ve met them. And maybe, you’ve been treated by one. Sadly, there are a lot of stupid doctors out there. So, in an effort to help you identify whether or not you have one of these gems in charge of your well-being, I have compiled a list of things to look out for.
I want to mention here, however, that I am not suggesting you stop medical therapy, but instead that you determine whether or not your current doctor is helping you at all, and to find another one if they aren’t.
You might have a stupid doctor if…
- He or she tells you that fibromyalgia does not exist or is all in your head.
- He or she claims you are being a hypochondriac and looking for attention, while dismissing all your primary symptoms
- He or she tells you all you need to do is lose weight, exercise more, and get more sleep. Or maybe they tell you that you need a vacation, you need a better sex life, or you’re just depressed
- He or she calls you a “drug seeker” because all your lab tests are normal. This happens even when you don’t ask for any medications and have actually repeatedly declined taking pain medications in the past!
- He or she simply refuses to order the appropriate studies such as specialized thyroid tests. They follow along with the herd and just do routine tests, even though it’s quite clear you are anything but a normal patient.
- He or she dismisses adrenal fatigue, which is a very serious draining condition that happens as a result of worn out adrenal glands, which help with stress coping. A stupid doctor will not associate this with your symptoms of low energy, low immune function, brain fog, depression, poor sleep, etc., and will instead blame it on “getting older.”
- He or she has you on two different SSRI or SSNRI antidepressant medications. This happens more often than you might think. Being on more than one of these medications significantly increases your risk of experiencing side effects and adverse reactions, and there is absolutely no reason to have you on more than one.
- He or she has you taking a stimulant and a relaxant, like Ritalin and Xanax, for example. Stupid doctors will overmedicate when they have no idea what they are doing, and are therefore becoming drug dealers by selling you highly addictive medications that will be dangerous for your health and even more dangerous if you ever want to get off them.
- He or she has you on a stimulant (or potentially stimulating drug) while you are complaining of insomnia. Taking SSRI or SSNRI’s at night is a bad idea. They inhibit the calming hormone serotonin, but they also inhibit the stimulating hormone adrenaline. This absolutely affects deep, restorative sleep.
The saddest part of all this is that truly stupid doctors are happy to stay that way. Whether this is because they only wanted the money that comes with being a physician in this healthcare industry, or because they are lazy and just don’t want to put in the effort doesn’t matter. The fact of the matter is that your health is an issue and these stupid doctors may very well make it worse and you will suffer for their negligence.
Stupid doctors don’t care about the art of medicine or the art of doctoring. They don’t care that this is a constantly changing field with innovations that can very well help those patients that are stumping them. They have no interest to be the detective and look for answers outside the box.
Stupid doctors are happy to follow the herd so they don’t make waves, and will therefore do everything a pharmaceutical rep asks them to do because this is “how it has always been done,” and the money that is gained from these pharmaceutical companies is paying their school loans, mortgage, car, bills, etc.
I can’t tell you how much it irritates me when I hear that patients who go to their doctor with every single symptom of low thyroid get told there is nothing wrong with them on routine lab work, so their thyroid is “likely normal” too.
Instead of ordering the proper tests, these stupid doctors will then prescribe life-draining drugs that will simply cover up the symptoms of low thyroid like fatigue, depression, anxiety, brain fog, elevated cholesterol, cold extremities, tingling sensations, weight gain, hair loss, and constipation.
They will give you several prescriptions like Ritalin for low energy, Lipitor for your cholesterol, Lyrica for your tingling pains, Zoloft for your depression, Xanax for your anxiety, and a variety of others that will attack every symptom as if it is an individual disease, while draining your body of healthy cells, chemicals, and hormones.
All of this is occurring because doctors are evaluating blood work for disease rather than function.
They want lab tests to show them everything without putting an ounce of thought behind it. So while your blood work may be normal, your adrenal glands, for example, may not be working at full function. They will only care when the adrenals stop functioning completely.
Don’t let any of this discourage you. Sometimes, all you need is a change in physicians and a good, quality multivitamin mineral supplement to get you back to normal health. For fibro and CFS patients, it’s a little more complicated than taking just one formula, but to start, get as far away from stupid doctors as you can. They will not only make you worse, but put you in grave danger with their prescription-happy pens.
I would love to know when you look at the list the insurance company gives you and they have listed Fibromyalgia (basically because it brings in patients but they really don’t know anything at all about Fibro) how can you know if they can help you. Is there a list of questions that I can ask the front office before making an appointment and then what questions can you ask the doctor straight up that will tell you to continue to go to them. Going from one Doctor to the other and having to go sometimes months before you figure out they don’t know anything is frustrating. Plus we who are searching for a Doctor eventually have enough doctors in the list where you are questioned “why are you Doctor hopping?” The answer sets you up for a bad relationship at the get go. So How can we get the best chance at an educated Doctor if we have to stay with our insurance picks. PS: Most insurance companies will not pay for a Doctor outside of the living area “if” there is Doctors that list that they can take Fibro patents in the area.
I stumbled across this website by complete chance and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia since 2005 chronic fatigue syndrome bursitis tendonitis chronic regional pain syndrome periphel neuropathy diffuse arthalgia drop foot rheumatoid arthritis in both feet and ankles degenerative disc disease hypothyroid tenosynovitis inflammatory arthritis and tendonitis. I can no longer rotate my ankles or move them up and down do to chronically torn ligaments that are no longer visible. The thyroid meds I’ve been taking do nothing. I had a baby in 2011 and never got any milk to breath feed my baby nobody ever did answer that question as to why that happend. All the doctors I see put me on so many different meds often that don’t mix well and cause me crazy side effects. I just want my life back maybe not like I was but just to be able to enjoy my little girl she’s only 3 and mommy has never been able to kneel on the floor and play with her cuz of all the pain I deal with everyday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
I’d love to help. Please call the clinic. You can learn more about phone consults at //fibroconsults.com/